Falcarragh Holiday Homes Donegal
Falcarragh is the main centre of the parish of Cloughaneely, in Irish Cloch Cheann Fhaola or the stone of the head of Mac Aneely. It is located to the west of Dunfanaghy – one of Donegal’s most popular family holiday destinations. Nearby Glenveagh National Park is well worth a visit.
The popular derivation of the name is tied up with the legend of Balor of the evil eye, who once held sway over Tory Island and the adjoining mainland. Ballyconnell House, situated in its own extensive grounds immediately to the north east of the town, was the estate house of the Olpherts.
This family, of Dutch origin, had owned extensive property in Cloughaneely since the seventeenth century. An tSean Bheairic – this authentic two-storey building, located in the centre of Falcarragh, was originally constructed in 1890 as the Falcarragh Police Barracks.
It was used as such until 1920 when it became the Falcarragh Garda Station. Permanent exhibits of its history and culture are displayed within the visitors’ centre.